Riverview Pickleball Club
Constitution and By-Laws
ARTICLE I: NAME & PURPOSE
Section A: Name – The name of this club shall be the Riverview Pickleball Club (RPC).
Section B: National Affiliation –Pickleball Canada Organization (PCO)
Section C: Provincial Association – Pickleball New Brunswick (PNB)
Section D: Regional Affiliation- Greater Southeastern Pickleball Association (GSPA)
Section E: Purpose – The purpose of this club shall be:
- To promote the sport of Pickleball in Riverview, New Brunswick in a safe environment while protecting the assets of the Association.
- To provide the opportunity for all members to learn and improve their play.
- To implement instructional lessons and clinics.
- To schedule drop-in, league play and tournaments; to encourage the highest standards of safe play and to promote social Pickleball activities within the community.
ARTICLE II: MEMBERSHIP & DUES
Section A: Eligibility – Membership shall be open to all the citizens of Greater Moncton area 18 years of age and over – Dieppe, Moncton, Riverview and surrounding areas.
Section B: Dues:
- A nominal annual fee to include insurance from Pickleball Canada will be due the end of October each year. The fee will be split between Pickleball Canada and Pickleball New Brunswick.
- Option to add a nominal surcharge for RPC if club so decides in the future.
ARTICLE III: EXECUTIVE OFFICERS
Section A: Officers – The officers shall be a President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
Section B: Eligibility – Officers must be members of the Riverview Pickleball Club.
Section C: Election – The officers shall be elected by ballot at the Annual General Meeting in June by a simple majority of the vote cast by those attending for that office unless acclimated.
Section D: Term – The officers shall serve for one year and their term of office shall begin July 1st.
Section E: Vacancy – If a vacancy occurs in the office of President, the Vice-President shall assume the office for the remainder of the term and vacancies in any other office shall be filled by a special election or board member if nobody comes forth to volunteer for the vacant office.
ARTICLE IV: DUTIES OF OFFICERS
Section A: President – it shall be the duty of the President to:
- Preside at meetings
- Vote only in case of a tie
- Represent the club
- Appoint committee chairpersons subject to the approval of the Executive Committee
- Serve as an ex-officio member of all committees except any nominating committee.
- Perform such other duties as ordinarily pertain to this office
Section B: Vice-President – It shall be the duty of the Vice-President to:
- Preside in the absence of the President
- Serve as general chairperson of the various Committees by collecting reports, solving issues, and in turn reporting to the President.
- Help collect fees, administer forms to new and existing members and handle punch cards.
Section C: Secretary – It shall be the duty of the Secretary to:
- Record the minutes of all meetings
- Keep a copy on file of all the important club records.
- Maintain a copy of the current roster of membership
- Issue notices of meetings by group email and letter (if needed)
- Conduct the general correspondence of the club.
Section D: Treasurer – It shall be the duty of the Treasurer to:
- Maintain the Club Bank Account
- Receive all funds and process Request for Payment, Deposit Slip, and Bank Signature Forms.
- Keep an itemized account of all receipts and expenditures and make reports as directed
- Provide quarterly and annual financial reports to be signed by the president.
Section E: Board Members – It shall be the duty of board members to:
- Attend and vote at all executive committee and general meetings.
- Replace any office that is vacated during the term if possible.
- Act as various committee chairman as appointed by the president.
ARTICLE V: EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
- Section A: Structure: The Executive Committee shall consist of the four officers and all Board members (the Board will consist of a minimum of two and a maximum of six RPC members).
- Section B: Responsibility – Management of this club shall be vested in the Executive Committee to be responsible to the entire membership and to uphold these bylaws.
- Section C: Compensation – Due to the amount of work involved in training, registering, collecting fees, setting up and down, obtaining and maintaining equipment, organizing tournaments, clinics and socials etc., members of the executive committee should not have to pay daily drop-in fees.
ARTICLE VI: MEETINGS
Section A: Meetings – Regular Executive Committee meetings shall be held on or near the first Tuesday of the month during the regular season except the months of July and August. The day and time will be determined by consensus of the committee.
Section B: Special Meeting – Special meetings may be called by the President with the approval of the Executive Committee.
Section C: Quorum – A quorum for the Executive Committee meetings should be a simple majority while the Annual General Meeting quorum shall consist of ten percent of the total membership.
Section D: Parliamentary Authority – Robert’s Rules of Orders, shall govern this club in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with these bylaws.
Section E: An Annual General Meeting (AGM) shall be held in June of each year. All members should be notified a month in advance of the time, date and place of the AGM.
Section F: An election of officers and board members shall be held at the AGM.
Section G: Emergency Act: In the event an emergency order is declared by any level of government in Canada which affects RPC operations, the Board of Directors or the President has the authority to suspend, cancel or change any operation of the club until the emergency order is lifted.
Once the Emergency order is rescinded the Board of Directors shall determine how operations will be resumed.
ARTICLE VII: COMMITTEES
Section A: OPTION-The following committees are optional and activated when needed.
Section B: Committees–
- Clinic : To organize periodic club clinics.
- Finance: To work on obtaining grants and sponsorships
- Publicity: To maintain website, Facebook page and actively promote the club in other ways.
- Membership: To maintain membership lists, personal data, cards, waiver lists and outside member lists.
- Fundraising: To work on ways to bring in more club funds and to help charities and venues.
- Social: To plan any club tournaments, parties, barbecues etc.
- Equipment : To maintain equipment such as paddles, balls, nets, bags and to report to Executive committee the need for more equipment if needed.
- Tournament : To chair the annual open tournament hosted by RPC.
- Nomination : To set up a committee to nominate members to certain positions to fill any vacancies of present officers or board members for the AGM election.
Section C: Special Committees – The President shall have the authority to appoint any special committees, with the approval of the Executive Committee, from time to time as need demands.
ARTICLE VIII: AMENDMENTS
Section A: Selection – these bylaws may be amended by a simple majority vote of the total membership attending the AGM or by email approval if a quorum is not attained at the AGM.
Section B: Notice – All members shall receive advance notice of the proposed amendment at least five days before the meeting.
ARTICLE 1X: FINANCIAL REPONSIBILITY
Section A: Signing Authority– the treasurer and/or president may sign cheques and any other financial documents pertaining to club business.
Section B: Small Purchases– Approval of club purchases of $50 and under need no general executive committee approval.
Section C: Large Purchases– Purchases over $50 shall require a simple majority vote of the executive committee excluding the president except when needed to break a tie. This can be done at an executive meeting, a special emergency meeting or by email vote.
ADOPTED BY THE MEMBERSHIP AT THE
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING , JUNE 9, 2020
SIGNED: _________________________________ Bob Betts, President
SIGNED: __________________________________Chantal Gallant, Secretary